Thursday, September 24, 2015

DailyScripture Reading and Paryer Builds Confidence.

As a boy in primary school I loved being in the school choir not because I was good at singing but because there was assurance that on the day of competition I would have a bottle of Pepsi or Coca-cola with a half loaf of bread from Paul's Bakery. Bread then used to taste nice that we could even devour it plain. To participate in the choir competitions, we practiced everyday to master the set piece and build confidence to stand before people and sing.
On the dress rehearsal day, each of us was required to stand alone and sing through the whole English song.In 1977 the set piece was Donkey Ridding (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsyc). I was asked to sing it alone. I was panicking. I was not sure of some lines and because my voice was breaking, I couldn't hit the high notes. The rest of the students were looking at me and my body became hot. I went quiet as my fellow students laughed and giggled. It was clear that day that my 1/2 loaf and soda would be no more. Although I was disappointed that day,several years later I ended up becoming the choir master as a student in High school by default and had the mandate of singing on stage and also conducting the choir up to the national level.
In High school I could sing well because I had built up confidence. Confidence came from spending long hours practicing and rehearsing and after mastering the skill, I could sing and win. The same applies to our spiritual life. We need to constantly keep in step with the Holy Spirit by daily reading of scripture, prayer and fellowship.Where opportunity arises we need to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. These four pillars of a Christian life builds Confidence in us as we live in this troubled world.
Confidence is defined in various ways by different lexicographers. One says that confidence is full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing: The Bible speaks of this same confidence not just as belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities which is self-confidence; but assurance of salvation. If one is born again and walks with the Lord everywhere,reads the bible everyday, prays everyday without ceasing and fellowships, confidence grows in the person. That is why Hebrews 10:35-36 encourages us in these words: Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise: May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Love of God and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with us now and forever more, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment