Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Growing Old in Jesus Christ.

           Just a few days ago I realized that now I am a mzee (old man).My first born has twice called me mzee and it did not sink. I also looked at myself in a mirror and realized that there are some activities taking place on my head.Some young people in Nairobi also called me "buda" (slang for old man). Now it is a fact that I am an old man and no longer kijana. There are things I no longer do, places I no longer go foods I no longer crave . My friends, who may also be reading this, and I used to square a whole loaf of bread 'kavu'(dry) and go home and eat my ration as well. Now I seldom eat bread. Now I find some verses in the Bible directly addressing me.     
       I have come across some Christian pastors, leaders friends and  even some acquaintances who say that we should not face our political leaders and tell them that they are wrong. Doing this they say is becoming judgmental and  they even go ahead a quote scripture that says  Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use,  . This verse to me is quoted out of context and it does not tell us not to correct those we see doing unbecoming things.Paul told Titus to deal with such people in the following words: Titus 1: 10 For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, 11 whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole households, teaching things which they ought not, for the sake of dishonest gain. 12 One of them, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans arealways liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” 13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, 14 not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth. 15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled. 16 They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.
      The Apostle Paul writing to Titus continued to say,  To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled. It is very possible that we may claim to know God and even claim to believe in Jesus but our actions of complacency speak louder than what we profess to be. Paul warned Titus about some of us who have this behaviour in vs16 of chapter 1. "They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work". 
     In Titus 2: Paul instructs Titus thus: "But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: 2 that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; 3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Now having the above qualities as an old man I need fervent study of scripture to keep sober. I need the Holy Spirit to make me humble and temperate. On the other hand older women have a task here. My question to the older women reading this post is; are our women discreet?  Discreet is defined as having or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and especially in speech :  prudent; especially :  capable of preserving prudent silence,  unpretentious, modest <the warmth and discreet elegance of a civilized home : unobtrusive, unnoticeable. But the definition for children is what caught my eye; careful not to attract attention or let out private information. How many of our beloved women can stand up and say I kept all private information in the four walls of our bedroom? What does being obedient to own husband mean? Do Christian women teach the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children,  to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed? Let me get some feed back on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment